If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Monday, September 25, 2006

I feel like I have started in earnest now though I had a momment of doubt as I was driving home from my first big order. I kept thinking "what am I doing setting out on a boat building project!" I'm over it now though doubt will likely raise it's ugly head again.

Today I ordered 29 sheets of plywood and $1,500.00 of epoxy. After looking for a source of FSC Fir plywood so I could build "green", I was disheartened to discover that it is not available in marine grade on the west coast on N. America. It is available in Europe but not here - go figure! Ordering "green" plywood and then shipping it with jet fuel over such a great distance seemed pointless. I am now back to using Okume BS1088. Fortunately, the way the panels layout, there will be very little waste. For an epoxy system I chose to go with System 3, www.systemthree.com , over West System. I've used System 3 before and have had good luck. They have tailored a new line of resins specifically for marine use. It is truely a system with various mixtures of varying viscosity for each different application; laminating, gluing, fillets and filler. Hopefully it will work well. They even have a line of paints specifically blended to go with their epoxy.

Now that I have plywood and epoxy, I need to figure out what I will use for dimensional wood for stringers, deck beams and all those little bits. The goal needs to be to keep the weight at or below design weight without compromising strength.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.