If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006


I'm in this for the long haul right? I haven't had a proper place to set down my cup in the shed until today. I've been too busy building to perfect these details but they are important. I walk around with my cup, balance it precariously or worst of all set it on the sticky ex-typist's typewriter stand - newly epoxy dispensing stand and contaminate the bottom of the cup. So first thing this morning, after putting my coffee down on the epoxy stand, I built this little coffee shelf. The plywood I used was from the freebees container at a cabinetmakers. Boatbuilders beware! Don't ever use this type of plywood in your boat. It has a beautiful face veneer, cherry and maple for the samples I got, but just underneath the veneer was a layer of particle board. I'm sure it makes for a beautiful smooth faced cabinet in a dry house but get this stuff wet and you'll have a heavy soggy delaminating mess on your hands.

The point of this post is that you will build a better boat if you set yourself up. That doesn't mean you need to build a 20,000 square foot shop with all the tools you can't afford but it does mean think ahead about what you are doing, visualize it, assemble everything so you can work with purpose not frustration. It can be as simple as putting your cordless drill in a plastic bag, when working with epoxy and screws, so you don't contaminate the drill with resin or taking the time to make a box for the tools you need so they are right at hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.