If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I spent the day on Tsunamichaser, it was a cold rainy day. It has been raining itself true here in the Pacific Northwest though the temperature seems a little milder than usual - snow levels seem a little high. After not having been over to check on her I ventured forth in a pitched rain battle. Everything is waterlogged and there are plenty of mudsides where the ground has been left compromised. I found the deck boxes flooded to different levels. They seem to take water on at different rates. Nothing a bit of bailing couldn't set right though. I never figured I'd get them totally waterproof so I didn't try to make then dry at all. I'll be thinking about this some more as it would be good if they were atleast weather proof. The good news on the dryness factor is that the cabins hadn't taken on a drop of water. No rain getting in, no condensation and no mold or mildew. While I was mopping up the boxes, I fired up the outboard - it started on the third pull - to let the battery charge. I'm liking the Nissan 6 hp more and more. Thanks for convincing me to buy one Scott.

I need to make a damage report. This is of great interest to me because it seems we sailors/boatbuilders are perpetually trying to make the rot-proof, maintenance-free boat. I say go with the flow and face the reality that nothing is mainenance free. To date I now have three issues I'll need to deal with come spring. 1. Separation of epoxy-glued white oak joints - thes exist at the mast head and base and the motor mount. Failure has occurred in the mast step horn, the motor mount looks ok and I won't know about the mast head until I take the mast down. 2. Hinge failure at the seat box lids. The epoxy bond between the seatbox lid plywood and plastic hinge has failed. 3. Chafe at rope to wood/glass joints. Rope make a good saw and will work its way through what ever it rubs against. Either that or the rope rubs through and the whole thing floats away.

I've got some work to do in the spring and as things improve a few additional bits to make but right now I'm bidding my time looking forward to clearer days when I might set out on the next adventure without fear of hypothermia!


Stepping off after bailing out the seat boxes and having run the motor.


A dismal day of cold intense rain - time for a mug of coffee and a bowl of clam chowder.


The glue joint that holds the seat box covers on has failed.


Signs of wear and tear - dock line chaffing the aft beam end.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Ethnic Catamaran Company said...

Good writing on sailing blogs is hard to find. I look forward even to your most prosaic entries – more so because of the sound observations so many contain. The boat's looking good, too – not as forlorn as I'd imagined (here in Thailand, during the dry NE monsoon season). God, how I hate snow.

3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.