If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Seattle has settled into its long descent into winter. Quickly disappearing daylight with a large side dish of rain soaked leaves clogging the storm drains. A good time for day dreaming. I am staying busy with a new work contract that gives me a fair income and time to plan next summer's adventure and do a boatbuilding project. The daydream is about trucking Tsunamichaser to Great Slave Lake for 2 months of exploration. The lake is nearly 450 km long with endless island to explore. The plan is the first step in taking my Tiki 26 north as I by line at the top of this blog. I have charts, have been reading sailing directions and a text about Samuel Hearne who explored the region in the 18th century. Great Slave Lake which is in Canada's Northwest Territories is the host to the region's largest city - Yellowknife with a population of 18,000 but this metropolis lies in the north arm far from the east arm that is host to a miriade of islands and an amazing intersection of Canadian shield and low lying uplands. It is also the deapest lake at 612 plus meters. ....I daydream as the rain pelts down outside....

Meanwhile I am building a Gary Dierking outrigger. It is going well and fast. I have completed to glassing ready the ama, iakos, and leeboard. This week I have lofted the molds and set up the strongback so far. Tomorrow, I will complete attaching the molds to the strongback and hopefully pick up the bamboo 1/4" x 1" x 6' slats I plan to use to plank the hull.





Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger The O'Sheas said...

Yeah, Portland is sunny at the moment, but I can feel the closet door slowly swinging shut, confining us to our gray, winter's nap.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.