If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Lise and I went for a long paddle in Ulua this morning. My arms and back continue to ache this evening. We has 15 knots of southerly wind with decent size breaking waves - 2 feet max - on Lake Washington where we paddled from Sail Sandpoint to Kirkland then back via Juanita Bay. We had gear failure that we fixed on the water. The trim tab control lines broke so I had to splice with monofilament on the water. We had a seat change midway - I got out and stood on the ama while lise moved from the stern to the bow. We shipped a deal of water and had some wild surfs! I was glad the lake was still warm as it was all pretty sketch. It was great getting practice paddling in significant cross seas and dealing with the water we shipped. Paddling back I found that I couldn't change sides if we wanted to not risk a huli. I paddled several miles leaning to the ama side and on the ama side only hence the ache. I continue to appreciate the abilities and speed of this fisherman's canoe. Gary Dierking 's design is outstanding As a finale to our morning on the water, we did a high speed marker rounding practice with the ama out of the water which was pretty exciting. It was super tight and I think we were both amazed that we didn't end up swimming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.