If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006



Work on the Tiki 26 has started in earnest! I am marking September 26th, 2006 as the official start of construction. After storing all my newly acquired materials that showed up today, I cleaned out the building shed, layed plastic on the floor and brought in 3 sheets of 6mm plywood to loft out the first hull sections. As I've discovered, it will take awhile to interpret the Wharram drawings. Where to start, what is left up to interpretation, what I'll need to design and most important how to catch any mistakes that I might make. I don't like making cuts that need to be redone on a new sheet of plywood. I can't totally launch into the work however as I'm waiting for my digital measuring scale to arrive so I can start blending epoxy. It will be best to coat the sheets in a flat position so that runs are avoided. Now that I have committed to the process by dropping $3k any doubts about the sanity of this project have left me. It feels like the commitment it takes to ski off a cornice/cliff. Once you push off you better focus on the process. I also decided to copy the drawing sheets before they get torn/coffee stained etc and I totally can't read them. One issue to stay aware of is that the metric and imperial dimensions don't always line up perfectly. I had decided awhile ago to build in metric as the plywood is dimensioned in metric. To be able to do this I got metric tape measures in Canada a while back. I haven't seen them down here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.