If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Monday, October 30, 2006



Today, I was up to my elbow in epoxy despite the significantly colder temperatures. I follow the weather fairly closely. I guess it's the sailor in me, so I knew that freezing temperatures were expected. In anticipation of this I moved all my epoxy indoors to keep it warm. First thing this morning I set up my heating pad warming system and them moved the epoxy out to the shed. This worked great as I was able to work all day making fillets, gluing the bow cross brace in and coating the two sheets 9 mm plywood which will eventually become the bunk boards. When I made the cardboard templates for the bunk boards I couldn't resist dragging a camp sleeping pad and bag out to see how they fit. Even with the bulkheads, it looks like it will be ideal. I can't wait to spend a night in a hull!
Up above I mentioned sailor. It is funny how quickly you get absorbed in the building process and before you know it your focus is boat builder not sailor. I like building things, it is satisfying when it goes well. It is a great feeling to be creative and technically adept. Building is what I do for work too but somehow it is not satisfying. Construction project management is what I do when I "work for the man!" This is fine but I'd rather be doing. The managing becomes stressful after awhile mostly because the project I end up managing are the huge impossible ones. Partly, I think I am building this to satisfy the need to build with my own hands not through endless meetings and email though I recognize the necessity of these managerial tools. Mostly I am building a Tiki 26 because I want to be able to do a new kind of sailing - on and off a beach in a simpler manner with less stuff. Most of us will upsize upsize upsize but I think that is a mistake. Two summers ago I circumnavigated Vancouver Island in my 13 foot Achilles RIB. What an amazing trip! I camped of amazing beaches and got to go to all the places I could never get to in my Westsail 28. The few people I met couldn't believe I was in my dinghy. But what could be better than rolling comfortably with the sea. I am not a powerboater but as sailors often do, I appreciate a small fast RIB, Of course I appreciate sailing such as the now underway Route de Rhum, Saint-Malo to Guadeloupe http://www.routedurhum-labanquepostale.com/en/s01_home/s01p01_home.php All classes of boats in this race are pushing the envelope! Keeping up with what is happening both in racing and cruising keeps me motivated with my building, I want to be out on the water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.