If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Friday, October 27, 2006



I had a couple of insights today. 1. Tiki 26's do not have much storage room so what you have needs to be maximized. The bay between bulkheads 3 and 4 is the sitting area where there is a foot well and the area serves as a wet gear "locker" too. I feel this wastes space under the seating area as I don't need all that space. Anything else that is wet and that can't be dried immediately goes in a dry bag. If it isn't warm out, I use my ski/mountaineering gear - Goretex pants and shell. If it looks like it will be wet, I get into a kayak/dinghy sailing style drysuit. I sail bare foot unless it is really cold then I get into neoprene socks and boots. This works well. On my head I wear a tight fitting neoprene hood when it's really snotty. My first real design change is to add a partial bulkhead - cardboard template and final bulkhead pictured. This way I can have a separate gear locker and still have the wet well. My plan is to also install a small fresh water tank of up to 10 liters in the available area under the floor. 2. My second epiphany of the day is about the cockpit. I have been watching youtube videos of Volvo multihull cup races. All these boats have extensive areas of trampoline between the hulls. This prevents bridge deck slamming. Instead the waves just pass right through the mesh both ways. It seems that the cockpit plywood floor should be replaced by mesh. Afterall in heavier weather the water comes from every direction anyway so why not have a mesh floor at the cockpit

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.