If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Thursday, November 16, 2006





Having tossed the daily workplan yesterday and feeling relieved and cavalier about it, I'm back to freestyle building. It is so much more rewarding to walk over to the shed (5 steps from the back door) toss aside the tarp covering the end of the shed and saying to myself "what shall I work on today?" Today as I entered the shed, I was inspired to flip the boat over. Partly this came about because by running my fingers along the underside of the bunks I could feel that the epoxy I'd used yesterday hadn't penetrated fully in all spots. I rigged up some raft tiedown straps, lifted the boat, yes to my delight and surprise I can still lift the hull by myself, clinched the straps tight and had the boat swinging in it's cradle in no time. By grabbing a gunnel/shear stringer I was able to roll the boat over. After flipping it all the way to see if the keel was straight and true, it is, I rolled it to a 45 degree angle and made up a batch of running wood flour epoxy. This I dumped into a plastic bag. After cutting off a corner, I proceeded to pour epoxy into the joint along the low edge. Perfect fillet with no messy clean up or trowelling. Once it has set up, I flip the boat the otherway and do the other side. I hope to be able to raise one end at a time to do the ends the same way.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea, doing those under bunk fillets upside down! Good to know the hull is still light enough to turn easily at this stage and yet is already rigid enough to withstand it without distortion.

4:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.