If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Friday, December 15, 2006






Despite the weather we experienced yesterday, first rain like I have never seen here - you could kayak in the streets for awhile followed by wind (gusts to 50 mph at my location) all was well and I had a productive building day. I was lucky. Unlike 50% of Seattle who lost power or remain without power, I only lost power for a short while during the night and internet connection for a couple of hours during the afternoon. My upgrades to the shed were effective. The shed past muster, there was no damage at all from the storm.

I spent four hours sanding all the fairing work I had done over the past two days. I made shaping decisions and planed or sanded the plywood into pleasing lines. The fairing I had done was not perfect for final paint but it was right for glassing. As planned I began glassing the outside of the hull. I layed down two strips of six inch wide 6 oz biaxial cloth with a two inch overlap. Over this I will install a layer of 12 oz biaxial cloth and then glass the entire hull sides. The hull is now a stiff membrane though in areas you can still deflect the plywood. I'm not sure this is the worst thing but I may add some additional internal reinforcement in these areas.

One thing to note is that I have departed from the building sequence layed out by Wharram. My plan is to complete the hull. including topside paint before I right the hull. I will then add the decks and cabin and the various external bits and pieces including the shear rub rail and doublers for the cross beams. But I get ahead of myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.