If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

As soon as The new bench was complete I sorted the six 24 foot long pieces of Sitka Spruce I have been seasoning for the mast. I'm using the best sectionsfor the long runs of the mast and the others for the boom and the scarfed on pieces. I cut the scarfs so none would line up and they took advantage of the wood where it is best. Studying the plans this morning I determined that I wouldn't have to splice sections for the triangular sections of the mast. These I'll cut tomorrow. Making the scarfs was fairly easy. I pre-cut the angle plane it to near the line and then finished up with a belt sander. To keep the saw at the right angle I screwed a piece of the same wood to the bottom of the saw. This works well when you need to cut from both sides. To join the scarfs, I made Sitka Spruce flour using a flour sifter to sift the belt sanding dust. This I mixed with epoxy. I separated everything with wax paper, spread the epoxy paste, lined up the joints and screwed and clamped everything together.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.