If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008



Yesterday I finished strip planking the main hull of the Ulua I'm building. I ended up using 109 7' bamboo splits to do this. It went well even though the bamboo tends to have twist in it. For the most part I used these to my advantage. Now come the onerous task of pulling close to 2500 staples. I did a few last night and it went pretty fast. Completing the staple pull will be this morning's task then on to scraping off the excess glue and then I'll get on with fairing the hull. If it works, I'll have built a hull for much less than it would have cost using cedar. If I'd ordered pre-made cedar strips from Noah's in Toronto the materials before shipping and tax would have been $464. In bamboo it cost me $98. Weight wise the bare hull should be pretty similar. One advantage of the bamboo is it is super hard compared to cedar not to mention it's grass not vanishing old growth forest. I'm excited to see what the hull will look like once it is sanded smooth.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Axxman said...

What are you using to pull the staples?

1:06 PM  
Blogger biol said...

I found this on "woodworkforums":

... the trick with removing staples was to use some of that blue or yellow plastic strapping used to hold packages together when they are being freighted. Just hold the tape on the surface and staple through it. When you want to remove all the staples grab the tape at one end and pull it up - it will either pull the staples out or pull one side of them out so you can grab them with a pair of pliers.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.