If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Saturday, November 22, 2008


Fixing where the deck split from the hull


Cleaned up and ready for a light sand and glazing coat



Capping the ends of the bamboo mast


I rigged the sail(s) on my Ulua yesterday - temporarily and forgot to take pictures. I say sails as I've made a small jib that I may use as a way to balance the rig when sailing and possibly lighten the work of steering. This is the stage of boat building that goes on forever. Many small projects. I glued the blade into the steering oar, made a wave dasher for the fore deck, tacked a small skeg onto the stern rise to help with steering when paddling amoungst other things. I have ideas on how to add a Wharram style rudder to the skeg if that make sense. It's all little moves. I won't be putting any paint on until spring at this rate. Anyway there is so little sunlight around at this time of year that the epoxy won't be harmed.

We figured out that the middle seat, installed per design, isn't great for 6' tall paddlers. Your reach is too long so you strike the front iako with your blade. I moved the seat back 3 inches. That should be just right. The sternsman will still have room to paddle without hitting the bow person in the back. Of course this may change how the boat sits in the water, stern down, requiring a sandbag in the bow but as Gary Dierking notes it's better to build light and add ballast than to sail around in an overweight boat.

I've been working on other stuff too. I modified a tramp from another boat to go between the iakos for sailing and have an idea for a safety ama that is inflatable so it can be easily stowed when not sailing. If I rig the boat again today, I'll remember to take some photos.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.