If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Saturday, November 01, 2008




It is hard to believe that I have gotten so far in a week but then this is a small boat. Yesterday I filleted in the bulkheads and the ring frame where the mast goes and today I cut out Roughs for the seats, seat stringers decks and waes and mast support. I worked my way through this lot of carpentry then switched to sanding and fairing the main part of the hull inside where you sit. I also decided to add more foam to the ends so the foam will be tight to the decks. The ends are now over filled and will need to be shaped back. I did this so I can glue the decks to the foam with no void in between. My daughter helped me fair the ama or helped get it on its way as it still needs to be sanded. We used a super light weight spackle to fill voids in the foam. Tomorrow if it's not raining, I'll sand it with fine sandpaper in preparation for glass. The big discovery today was that the boom which I've been bending by suspending it between to fixed points with a 50 - 60 pound weight hung from the middle, lost its strength and cracked in today's rain. I'm seeing this as positive. A. I learned something and B. I filled the longitudinal cracks with Gorilla glue and shrinkwrapped the glue area to drive the glue into the cane. If it works I'll have a curved boom as Dierking calls for. I'll have to wrap the split area in glass and now plan to epoxy coat the whole cane. Nothing lost and I learned something.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.