If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Sunday, October 04, 2009

DUMPSTER DIVING AND SAILING

I haven't been blogging much lately. Out of practice, fallen off the wagon, moving on - not sure which. I have been working on some interesting boat projects and I've done some great sailing in the last few weeks.

Projects first. On my trip to the San Juans this summer, I started thinking more about self sufficiency. Julia on Badu re-introduced me to successful sprouting which I've taken up at home. Having read Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma" food has gained importance. Especially conscious food choice. I'm back to baking bread. I'm experimenting with making my own crackers - super easy and rewarding. Most important are two projects - how to grow stuff on board and how to make beer onboard. With the first one I have started an ice chest greenhouse. I want to be able to grow herbs, salad greens and the likes. I've got the experiment going. As to beer making I've found a device called the "Beer Machine" on the web that has mixed reviews but has the best onboard potential. I just need to order one to get going. This week I added solar panels to Tsunamichaser. Two 10 watt panels mounted on the cabin sides outboard. Followers of this blog will remember that I converted one under bunk space to a battery well. The panels are now mounted all I need are some batteries. My needs are small and I plan to keep it that way. Essentially I want something other than my portable Brunton panel, as it is at risk of being stepped on and broken, to charge ipods, laptop, AA and AAA batteries. I have also come to the conclusion that I need better in hull ventilation so the batteries will drive fans to move moist air when there are sleepers below. Today I completed a small project in that I made a new cushion cover for a perfectly great cushion I found besides the dumpster at my marina. Yah for dumpster diving! Cover made of left over cloth from other boat projects. Speaking of dumptser diving thanks for the sheets of stainless steel and old bits I found in above said dumpster. Now I can make my new stove box out of things I already have and things I've found - nothing to buy.

On the boating front I've had a couple of great sails and some epic paddles these past two weeks. I took friends Louise and Andy who live in Montana out for a fine day and discovered a great new beach to land on. The day was finished off with and excellent burger at Hattie's Hat in Ballard and a fine bottle of wine. More sailing was done later in the week this time in the attempt to land some salmon but no luck there. This past week was focused on paddling. Lise and I had Ulua out in 3-4 foot rollers on Lake Washington where we had some great surfs on the way home and no huli's! Paddling the rest of the week was not so exciting. The waters were flat the temperature on the cold side and so it was an extra layer to cut the wind and heads down to make the pace and keep warm. Fall/winter are here. I'll need to keep getting out but although the weather remains stunning, the rains will come soon and dreams of summer will begin.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.