If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

First side so good! This evening, I removed the nails holding the three hull sections in alignment and the screws I used to get steady pressure between the stringer and the plywood hull sides. The epoxy was tack-free after four hours. All seems to have gone well. Using screws was necessary as my floor is nor perfectly level, the stringers are not totally straight longitudinally and the plywood, when coated on one side is somewhat bowed. Using a cordless drill, with variable torque settings, made getting the screws just right and consistent relatively easy. I took an hour after I finished puting the hull side together to re-read the building manual. The re-read showed that I needed to layout the edge location of the hull sides on the stem and stern piece. The templates I had made came in handy for this as I had already measured and made the marks on them. Reading ahead to the "Assembling the Hulls & Fitting the Bulkheads" section showed me that I have more work to do to the bulkheads before I can get a hull together. Wharram has you install bunk bearers on the bulkheads before you install them. I think I will dry-fit the bulkheads without the bunkbearers as this is the height of the hull where I might run a continuous stringer instead of the sectional ones shown in the design. My thinking with regards to this is that a continuous stringer with make the hull shape fairer and will give greater strength. In light of this and my reading ahead to glassing in the keel and the bulkheads, I spent some time researching fiberglass tapes. I already bought some 6" wide 12 oz biaxial tape for the keel. This is too heavy for the bulkheads however. I had planned on using woven tape but I found some 6" wide 6 oz biaxial tape on line so I ordered a roll. Biaxial tape is far superior to woven cloth tape as you get both sets of fibers crossing the seam. It also lays down into corners and over edges much easier. 6 oz biaxial tape hasn't been available until recently. It has little demand except in the stitch'n glue community. Finding it was a boon to the project.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.