If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Monday, October 09, 2006






Here are three photos of the scarfing process. I like to make long scarfs. These ones have a 1:12 slope. I used a power planer and a beltsander to make them. It is quick, if you stay focused and check for square as you go. The key is to keep the scarfs square and straight, not concave or convex or lopsided as you will be flipping the pieces around to join them. My plan is to join them on the hull side, not prior to attaching them to the hull panels. I used a different technique when I made the scarfs for the keel pieces. As these pieces are almost square (3/4"x1"), I cut the angle to near completeness with my panel saw first, then used the plane and sander to finish them. It was faster and may even be more accurate. I didn't take any pictures but may do so later when I make them for the second hull.

I'm getting closer to being able to join the first hull together. I'm coating as many panels on the inside face while they are lying flat. This avoids runs and make the sanding easier. This is when I could use a bigger shop! I am cramped but it is ok. I hang finished panels from the ceiling of the shop. One time and process technique I hope to use is to paint the inside before I put on the decks. We will see if this works. Hopefully I can use an air compressor to spray the paint. For now I need to stay patient and not get ahead of the process because of a desire to make a hull. .....AND GO SAILING!!!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.