If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, October 03, 2006



I share a treehouse with my daughter. We built it this summer from materials we salvaged. Old trees and and flotsam lumber from the beaches of Puget Sound. Scrap lumber and cast offs from a construction dumpster down the street (I brought some of this home behind my bike in my BOB trailer), scavenged cedar shingles and some bamboo which I admit I bought. My daughter uses the tree house as her secret laboratory, I use it as my meditative space. I can get up above the building shed and look out over the neighborhood through the trees and towards the water. This morning when I woke up, two thoughts struck me. One, that sailing from Great Slave Lake up the MacKenzie River to the Beaufort Sea would be an amazing trip to take. Two, that I needed to take a step back and make sure I am shaping my bulkheads correctly and that I get them finished smoothly, same with the hull sides. No point rushing ahead into dissappointment. But there is the balance between loving each piece of wood so much that you love the project to death. Afterall this is about sailing. I am not super excited about the butt blocks you need to join the side panels with. They will add a hard spot to the hull. I think I will mock up a butt block scarf and a veneered plywood scarf to test pliability and strength. To get there I may need to spend some time in the treehouse building in my head. Maybe this one time I should treat the treehouse as my secret laboratory.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Madman Nielsen at it again!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sign me up for the sailing trip!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you have an email too communicate with you? i m a dreamer too.

10:11 AM  
Blogger tsunamichaser said...

Sure I can be contacted at tsunamichaser@yahoo.com

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.