If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Friday, September 29, 2006



I REALLY need my digital scale now! Please deliver it today. The weather is perfect for getting started on coating panels. Instead I continue to loft other parts of the boat which is productive but still just feels like dreaming. I want to be building!!!

Here I am in the picture lofting.

Please UPS/FEDEX, whomever it is that is transporting my goods. I can't track it through Amazon other than:
Oren-Co
Delivery estimate: September 25, 2006 - October 2, 2006

Why do I need this scale so bad?

Epoxy is not a catalytic reacting chemical like polyester resin (often termed fiberglass) is. It uses two components that form specific cross binding structures to cure. The successful outcome of this reaction is volume specific. Too much of one or the other component and you have a sticky mess you are scraping off. There are two ways to achieve this accurate volume, measure the material volumetically or figure out its mass. The volume method only works for liquids. As some of the epoxy products are actually non-flowing they have to be weighed - accurately! Hence the need for a digital scale.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now this sounds like the Thomas Nielsen I have always known. I remember when he and Lise lived in Ballard and there was always a mast or some other boat part in the living room, and you couldn't cross the room without tripping over some kind of pulley or a rope. I always thought that he'd end up building something too large to be removed from the house, and he'd have to turn it into some kind of Ripleyesque domestic museum - See the Ballard Bedroom Boat! Watch TV from the deck! - but I guess that pit has been successfully circmvented. I look forward to blog postings from some inconceivably remote bay some day, because I have little doubt that if there's a blog during construction then the final product will be fully kitted out with the latest technology. Just don't forget the espresso machine.

3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.