If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Friday, September 29, 2006



I built this experimental proa using my Aire Superlynx kayak... http://www.aire.com/aire/superlynx.shtml , and an outrigger I built with a thermorest, ABS pipe, bamboo and webbing. For the rig I used bits and pieces from sailboards and a custom made daggerboard to prevent leeway. Heres the problem with inflatable boats; when you have to stay the mast you impart flexural forces into the hull. Though I could get it to sail downwind and on a beam reach, I couldn't go upwind, the more the wind loaded the sail, the more the hull flexed! I was sailing a great big red bannana. The execise was fun though and I got to wallow around in the water on a hot summer day laughing my head off. I thought I'd have a fast sailer that I could pack in to where I wanted to start from. I've kept all the parts so maybe I'll pick this up in the future sometime with a different kind of rig. For a different kind of sail, check out this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OYV0chVUUU or search Youtube for moth foiler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.