If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006



All I got to do on the Tiki 26 project today was pick up some additional tools and sanding supplies. Instead I worked of the correction list for the sale of my Westsail 28. I fixed running lights - salt build-up and a broken bulb. I checked for and found the reported cooling water leak. Water was coming out the tiny hole between the two shaft seals that keep oil and saltwater apart. A sure sign the seals and the shaft were shot. To get at this problem, I realized I'd have to pull the water pump. Gingerly I went at it. At least the two bolts came out with ease but I almost had a cow when what I thought were flanges came off the raw water pump when I took the bolts out. How could both flanges have broken off? I was envisioning having to order, then wait for but worst pay for $$$$$ a new water pump. Luckily I had the Volvo Penta full parts manual and discovereed that the pump is held on with clips. Equally lucky, the local Volvo Penta dealer had all the parts I needed to do a rebuild. $63 later I left with a small box containing all the bits. Now I like working with wood, don't mind wiring, can do plumbing but working on old engines in cramped spaces is not my idea of fun. My hand are sore from today's task and I've got a load of grease and grit under my nails. Atleast all the parts went back together as predicted in the instructions, the leak was fixed and the pump worked beautifully. It could have been worse, way worse.

My experience today strengthens my commitment to keeping it simple. While I traipsed back and forth from the store to the boat, from the boat to the store, I had an interesting conversation with one of my dock mates. He was struggling with his roller furling. It was way undersized for the 22 foot homebuilt boat (it looked like a Bolger), didn't use a foil but furled the sail around the sewn in wire in the sail. As he said and I quote "you can't use this thing to reel the jib" and "what I've discovered is that you really start to build the boat after you've launched it". What truths. Why would you have furling gear if it only works fully in or fully out? And yes once you get a boat into the water and start using it you discover all it's needs. This is what I like about the smaller Wharrams, you can treat it like you are camping: a sleeping pad and bag, a handful of clothes, a mess kit with a campstove, a cooler for food and the rest of the junk you drag onboard and I have dragged off my Westie after 10 years can all stay at home. SO! - The goal will be to eliminate or minimize clutter and stuff including the use of an infernal combustion beast!! I like the idea of using powerful electric trolling motors for auxillary propulsion, a battery bank, solar and wind and perhaps a small generator, only perhaps. See the link I've url'd http://www.austrian-wharrams.org/wer_wir_sind/t26_m_brose.htm this Tiki 26 uses a trolling motor. I now understand why the Purdeys have sailed all these years without an engine. Engines are dirty, smelly and a nuisance unless you need to be somewhere NOW! or you are not good at reading the weather. The better way is to have plenty of time and plan ahead. Tomorrow, I return to work on the Tiki. Hopefully there won't be any interruptions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.