If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Friday, November 17, 2006



After a day of floating upside down, the hull is back in its cradle. No longer do I feel that the braces I had attached it with to the shed are required. With the bunks glued in, it has become torsionally very rigid. Before when I pushed on the hull near the bow the stern would remain fixed while the boat flexed along its length, now it moves as a single object. One of the interesting parts of this process is the building into the hull of significant stresses. The epoxy holds the plywood in its tortured shape. The plywood pushes back against this significant restraint. What started out as a pile of floppy plywood and liquid is slowly becoming a rigid object. When I look at it it is more sculpture and boat. The hull really feels like an outrigger canoe at this stage. You could cut the bulkheads off at the lower hull panel stringer, rig it up with an outrigger and ama and you would have an interesting boat. But this is no proa. It is a symmetrical catamarn with much work ahead. I now have spent 39 days working in the shed. I hope to finish the lower hull side fillets over the weekend so that I can start on the upper sides Monday - here I go setting goals again. I have more sanding to do to get the inside ready for paint. I have tried to work as clean as I can, avoiding drips, smoothing out epoxy fillets as I install them and then finishing them up whent they reach an almost cured state. There are still little drips that I miss or other rough spots. There is also fresh epoxy to be sanded everywhere you add a fillet or handle the boat with sticky gloves. Sanding is one of those activities that you could do forever if you wanted to never finish the project. How smooth is smooth enough? It requires carefull work as it is easy to sand through the epoxy coat which then needs to be fixed. I have a few places that I will need to repair. But I am encouraged by the progress I am making.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Kim Whitmyre said...

You are really moving along, Thomas!! Perseverance furthers! I bought plans in 2000, and ended up buying my tiki 26 from the 2nd (!) owner up on Bainbridge Island, WA, in spring, 2004. You can see it here:

http://www.dslextreme.com/users/kwhitmyre/Vaea/index.html

My current project is replacing the hatch covers: no glass over the fir plywood = checking. I glassed the forward beam last winter. And, I've been sailing! ;~)

I'll be checking back to see your progress,

Take care,

Kim

6:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.