If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Thursday, November 02, 2006


Today was a random activity day. I put the second coat of three of epoxy on the backside of the bunk panels. As the photo shows my "clever way of making an underside fillet for the bunkboards turned out to be too small and failed to release from the form properly. I used oil as my release agent. I think I'll try PAM or vaseline. Any suggestions? Good thing I didn't do the real thing. At least I learned that lesson from my molding clay debacle. So since I couldn't do the work I had planned to do I did random things. I glued on the bow and stern cheek panels for where the upper hull panels land and I glued in the last diagonals. I think I've given up on doing built in water tanks. Flexi-space like Wharram calls it. KISS is the way to go. Built in tanks would hold little water and be a pain to keep clean. More on these later, perhaps I haven't totally given up on them. ..Oh I had a friend over for lunch so we talked boats, always good but I got little done.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! Just going back through the archives now. Its probably in there, but what was the other Wharram you were considering? I'm thinking about building the Tiki 21 for coastal sailing/beach camping.

I have a oceanographer friend in Seattle, and she was telling me about Vancouver Island and the surrounds. Its a bit different to waters off the Queensland (Australian) coast. Anyway, take it easy.

8:15 PM  
Blogger tsunamichaser said...

I considered building or buying a Pahi 31. I like the T26 over the T21 as it has better internal volume for sleeping and storage space if you plan on doing multi-day cruising but is still light enough to cruise off the beach or a trailer. If you want to know more about the Tiki 21 check out Scott Williams blog at http://tiki21element.blogspot.com

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reply Tsunamichaser,
Yeh, I've been keeping an eye on Scott's blog as well!

My problem at the moment is deciding between the 21 or 26. A bigger internal volume (which would be good!) at then cost of build/weight (for towing) increase!

Hope your weather improves!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.