If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Thursday, May 17, 2007

I went shopping this morning for supplies. How quickly you eat up epoxy, cloth, brushes, squeegees etc. I hope I now have enough to finish the project. On a very cool note I went to get some UHMW Polyethylene from a place called Laird Plastics. The sales rep was totally helpful and gave me what I needed for free! Life is good. I may still need to buy some more material from them but how cool was that! I got some 1/8 inch sheet material that I am going to test out as rudder hinges. This stuff is extremely tough, flexible enough to serve as a hinge and should bear the brunt of the service it needs to provide. More detail later.

Other than shopping the main tasks today were Glassing the second main hatch and locating the beams on the hull so I could locate the stringer doubler, shape these to take the hull curve and epoxy them in place. I'm still up as I waiting for epoxy to kick so I can remove the tape I masked the attachment area with.

I'm impressed by how tough the hulls are. I'm purposefully handling them a little roughly at this point as I want to get a sense of their toughness. At 400 plus pounds I can still turn them over by hand alone, lift one end to reposition stands etc. Also the more times I do this the better I'm getting at it. I can now flip them in about ten minutes. My cut out barrel works great and by using two reefing hooks and a snatch block with line run through the handle at the stern I can lift and pull the barrel in from the bow until it is in position mid-hull.

Today was the first time that I got a sense of how big this boat is. It is really wide. It will be awesome once it is floating, what a platform. I'll need to figure out where to store it in the water. A mooring would be best but not sure I can make that happen close to home. I'm not super keen on keeping alongside a dock. But that is something I'll figure out when I'm confident I'm ready to go to water.


My backyard get swallowed up.


A new challenge, fitting all the bits. I hope it's all right!


Late night glassing


Back upside down gluing lashing doublers on.

1 Comments:

Blogger Log of Bill & Houston. said...

She really is bigger than I would have thought! Great work!

Bill (MileHigh)

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.