If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Sunday, May 13, 2007

I am at that crossroad that eventually rears its head on all expeditions; planning started a little late, the mountain is larger and knarlier than it looked from a distance and you are wearing thin from the approach. Though you trudge on, the goal seems to never get closer and the window of opportunity is rapidly closing on you. In my case the goal is arbitary, the desire to be on the water by July 1st - I have all the time in the world. MaƱana!

I can be positive or negative about this. It is my choice. I made two "new lists" of tasks to be completed this morning; one with more detail than the one I was working from. It is longer, it goes on forever! The other list just says have fun finishing the boat - no worries. Yes there are many things almost done. Everything is started. This is not because I am disorganized but because all these things need to be fitted together. I can have fun or I can start to dread the project. I can wish for a larger work space - a thirty by forty foot hangar would do nicely or I can play along with the jungle clearing -tude of my backyard. It all comes down to attitude. I think I need to chill. I've been working seven days a week for sometime now. Eventually this "overtime" becomes anti-productive; you make mistakes, over-look things, injure yourself and worst of all start hating the thing. It's good to voice all this as it helps figure out how to move on - morale is down the team is slogging - it's time for a pep talk and team meeting to refocus the effort. A nice big beach party would do nicely!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen brother! all those thoughts and more as i have to launch my tiki 46 by aug 08. i totally hear what you are saying.. have fun and have a party is the answer.
mike

10:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometime back I took the mickey about the fact that you always seemed to be leaving the project to go skiing, kayaking etc. Actually I have been constantly amazed at your workrate. I am just beginning to learn how hard it is to work alone on a project like this, keeping that balance of productive work and enthusiasm is the hardest thing. People keep asking when the boat will be launched and I always answer 'I don't know' and I can see them thinking 'This guy's a dreamer'. But the thing is I know I will see it through, I don't need a deadline, I do what I can when I can and I do it right. Yeah sure you have to push some but we are not machines. It's easier for me because I am thinking in years not months but you have pushed yourself from the start watching that countdown clock and beating yourself up. Tsunamichaser deserves your best and you can't give her that 24/7. There is no contest between the deadline and the boat. Do you want to be out there this year thinking I rushed this job? I don't think so.
Take your foot off the throttle and that blurred view will come back into focus. Hey you're still going to be sailing way before me!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Scott B. Williams said...

Neil makes some good points. You'll be sailing well before me too. Your progress has been truly amazing, and the quality of your work excellent. I'm not worried about deadines myself, just happy I finally decided to take the plunge and build this boat after years of thinking about it. As it is turning out, I'm pleased with my progress too, considering how few hours per week I can devote to it. Neil is making good headway too, but is right in thinking in terms of years rather than months. I'm still thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of a year and a half. That would put me in the water by mid-2008, but if it takes a few extra months, that's okay too.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hy thomas i have been watching your progress since you started it has been the coolest!!!!!!!!!inspiring!!!!!!Juststarted my own tiki 26 plan393 there is light at the end of your tunnel GO TO the Light
Tommy

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.