If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

I am hard at work trying to finish all the miscellaneous details that need to be done to get this boat ready for launch. It took most of yesterday to cut and fit the beam pads where the beams sit on the deck. While I was at that I also finished turning the aftermost extra beam (round) out of some extra Sitka Spruce I had. I used the same Hole Hawg lathe that I used to make the mast. It went off without a hitch. After cutting the beam with a saw and a power planer to a 16 sided cross-section I used a 24 grit sanding belt cut open and attached with spring clamps to an eight pound dive weight. This took the load off me and I could focus on getting the shape consistent. I also cut a 1/3 circle into a 2x4 of the final size plus a bit that I set on top of the sanding belt. When it lay flush all the way the beam was at the final size. I still have finish sanding to do but a I have a good looking round stick of wood. Other things I made, as you can see in the photos below were the mast seat and beam end cleats.

Today I will continue to install the beam seats but the big job for the day is starting the cockpit. Most likely I'll try to lash the rudders on too so I can finish the tillers. These I cut out all the pieces for months ago but have yet to start their assembly and shaping.

Gluing on the flange to the forward beam.


Set up to start shaping the aft extra beam. Hole Hawg attached to treehouse support.


Forward beam pads installed.


Mast seat with guide and knee which will all be installed once the flange is on.


Beam end cleats shaped.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.