If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Thursday, May 24, 2007

My job now is to finish the boat. the key tasks are finish the beams and the tillers and build the cockpit. I can worry about paint and fitting out later. To make this happen I flipped the hulls upright. This takes me max ten minutes per hull now from upside down on my own. I've got the beams in place and the boats level and square. My immediate goal is to get the lashing plates positioned so I can measure for the cockpit and get it started. I'll be temporarily mounting the rudders so I can figure out the tillers. Everything is cut for them the bits just need to be glued and shaped.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a boat! Congratulations!
Going back to the sanding that you've been doing. What was the objective? Are you just roughing up the hull for paint, or, does the epoxy need smoothing out? I've never used epoxy, I've only fiberglassed boats so pardon my ignorance.
David

8:02 PM  
Blogger rdl said...

Pretty awesome idea. Love your choice of boat. Keep us posted so we can continue to wish you well.

9:24 PM  
Blogger tsunamichaser said...

David,
If you want things to be smooth, epoxy or not, you will need to do some sanding. You will inevitably end up with drips, sags and the likes. Also, with epoxy you need to ensure good bonding between coats. With System Three Epoxy you can reapply coats within 72 hours without sanding as they will chemically bond but after that you need to de-gloss the surface by sanding to get a good bond. Epoxies also do what is called blushing. That is they leave an oily substance on the surface when cured that you need to remove. Acetone is often used to achieve this.

Hope that answers your question

Thomas

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.