If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Wednesday, May 02, 2007


I'm busy making mast and gaff parts. I checked my stock of hard woods but had nothing suitable thicker than 5/4's rough so here I am gluing up two layers of this to make the mast foot, gaff slider mast cleats etc. Note the two 1" dowels on top of the glue sculpture. These I made from an old but good broom handle - handle good, broom bad - you never know when all that junk you keep will come in handy and it still works as a broom! How I drilled the 1/4 inch center hole, over drilled to 5/16th, is a story. First I tried free hand. That was no good. Not having a drill press I "made" one. The broom handle section fit inside of a plumber's hole saw I have, the kind with a separate center point drill that goes all the way through. So I stuck the dowel in the holesaw and then spun it in a drill to make shure it was square - no wobble. Then I took this set up out of the drill, put the 1/4 inch bit in the drill and drilled through the holesaw and therefore the dowel - perfect job! I then over sized the hole for epoxy with a 5/16 bit. I love the creative solutions that drinking coffee all day makes you think off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.