If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Transformations to the boat at this point are small. Having said that it is always pretty dramatic when you go from bare wood to finish paint. The truth about your finish prep becomes instantly apparent. After having spent the last week tuning up the cockpit and getting everything to fit well, I decided that it was time to paint. After my disaster with the primer - paint reaction and based on information from Scott Williams about Easypoxy going down well directly over epoxy and my own test patches of this painting method, I went for it. I cleaned up the shed as best as I could, tarped both hulls, got in my moonsuit and fired up my spray gun. As it was an ideal temperature and Easypoxy has a quick recoat time I got several coats on through the afternoon. Now I just need to keep off the paint until it cures up hard. Then I'll unsling the cockpit flip it, sand it and paint it. I may try to drop it onto a couple of saw horses so that I can get the beams free and paint these. The beams still need locating blocks so somehow I need to figure out how to do these.

To stay out of the shed, I took on the task of giving the garage, where I do most of my cutting and milling a good clean. I hadn't really done this in months. I'm sorting the wood scraps and digging out the sawdust. I still have more parts to make like the trampoline attachment rails but carpentry is coming to an end.


Cockpit box prepped for paint.


....like a fresh field of snow!

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott B. Williams said...

The cockpit looks great. Did the Easypoxy cure ok this time?

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.