If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

The seat lids are coming along well. The Excelon hinge material epoxied into a kerf in the edge of the fixed and movable parts of the seat. What's cool about this hinge is that it is coninuous and is watertight. They are rated at 2 million flexes so they should last awhile. I'll see how they stand up to the stresses. I'm actually more concerned about the plywood failing at the kerf though I filled the kerf with five minute epoxy before I fitted the hinge. All these materials are fairly light weight and under the right sea conditions the whole thing could be crushed regardless. I wouldn't want to find myself near the shoals that form Maverick or Jaws when they are pumping. That would end badly!


Uncut seatbox lid fitted to the cabin side with a test hinge in foreground.


Washboard set in its slots. I over sized the cut the space between the seat and the washboard so that water can run down the face of the washboard and drain straight down. I may need to add a rubber flap to keep water from spraying back up.


Seats flipped up to expose the seat boxes. Where the two lids meet on their edge there is a gap. Water that drains here will run into a trough between the storage compartments and then out a drain hole.


One seat up and one seat down. I don't think I'll be putting locks on these. To keep them closed, I'll use a couple of rope loops and hooks on each lid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.