If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Saturday, June 30, 2007

I've been a little negligent with my posts. I seem so busy running around working on ten things at once and keeping my daughter entertained. She's pretty fun to hang out with though as she's a quick learn and digs the boat. A bit of a destructive tester too. So far so good all is holding up. We've been making up rigging at the local boat supply place, Fisheries Supply. It's super cool that they have all the tools for doing nicopress stuff yourself. In all it took me a couple of hours with her help to make up the rigging. The only things I had made by others was the monkey face plate and the forestay which needs to be 1x19 swaged wire for the roller furling. One of the things you start to realise at this stage about Wharram's boats is how inexpensive they are to fit out. Its not free but it's much cheaper than other boats. While I was making up my wires a couple came in to order new rigging for their 28 foot monohull. The basic estimate for the materials for standing rigging was over four times the cost of the finished wire, plates, shackles etc for the T26. Nice! I'll carry some spare wire and fittings including bulldog grips for emergency set ups.

Some of the other projects I've been working on are the washboards, one made so far, that I decided to try to make out of one piece of plexiglass. The first one worked out great. I first cut it to width to fit between the hatch coaming. My coaming and hatch are low profile with the coaming at one inch and the hatch at 1.5". I've never met a hatch that truely didn't leak eventually. I have thought about using a small diameter bicycle tube to create a inflatable seal. That might be the trick. Anyway to make the washboard I started with the coaming lip, layed it out and clamped it with a length of metal. Then I heated the plexiglass with a paint stripper and when it was pliable enough bent it to the right angle. I repeated this with the second bend where it goes down the face of the cabin. This bend was harder to achieve. Once the angles were right, I layed out its tapered shape and then cut it on my table saw. It's cool having this piece as a single unit.

The cockpit is now rough finished on the inside. I need to give it a good sand and then a final coat if necessary. Then it's primer and paint. Since I'm using Easypoxy paint I may skip the primer as Easypoxy goes down well directly over the epoxy.

As I've been working in the cockpit, I've discovered the truth about the motor well. It's a big hole where things bounce to and then fall though. It's not so big a problem when the motor is in the down position but it is a real problem when the motor is tipped up. I have some left over scraps of tramp fabric so I'll make a snap on cover for the opening to lessen this problem. I don't need to be adding to the garbage that's floating about the oceans of the world.


Standing rigging - $250


Fitting the one piece cabin washboard


Finishing the epoxy in the cockpit.


The motor well. This is a big hole where things will roll and be lost. I'm going to make up a cover out of trampoline material so it can still drain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.