If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

There are so many small tasks to work on now it is daunting. I found myself unable to focus, flitting from one task to the next until I gave myself a little talk. In the end I was productive but I still have things that are not quite complete or somewhat out of sequence. Priming your work to get it ready for paint brings whatever blemishes there are into clear view. A seam not quite filled, a small area where the cloth rove shows. Mostly it's cosmetic but in some areas the question "will rot start here?" surfaces. Also plywood and Doug Fir are soft so each time you move something or bang something into it you risk a divot. Not every surface is covered in glass cloth and even if it was moisture has a way of creaping between surfaces and prying them apart. Maintenance sort of starts right away if you hope to stay ahead of the curve but it is hard to sustain the pace.

Yesterday started out gray and cold so I worked on a trampoline indoors. Today looks more promising. Atleast there is morning sun. On the hulls it's all about getting them ready to paint. But where to stop the topside paint and start the bottom paint. I'm struggling to figure out where the waterline goes. I've sprayed a couple of gallons of primer onto the hulls and other exterior bits so I feel like the hulls are paint ready but you can always fix one more spot. Where I've done touch up it needs to cure so do I wait until everything has sat foe three days or so. Or do I avoid the fresh spots? If the weather looks ok today, I'll do a test paint, something that hasn't seen fresh primer since last week like the gaff and the main hatches. I'm using Pettit Easypoxy on the outside. I've had good luck with it in the past but I'm starting to get tired of using all these chemicals and of making all the dust that sanding creates. It is not a very clean world. I want to be floating on the sea tranquil or not, not throwing up clouds of dust and fumes.

Last night I mounted the last of the interior hatches. I moved the hatch from the foredeck compartment, right ahead of the cabin, inside. The less penetrations through the exterior the better and frankly this compartment is too deep to be practically accessed from the deck for my liking. You have to stand on your head to get to the bottom. If I was to do it again I'd split it into an upper and lower area with a plywood intermediate deck. The way I'll deal with this now will be a cargo net so I can have heavy stores below and light stuff above. Having built cockpit seat boxes I've gained over 400 liters of storage space so it is not storage I lack. I suppose that in the future I can foam the deep part of the vee in the forward storage area and then fit in deck with a couple of sections of plywood. See now it's not only maintenance I'm thinking about it's retrofit! A boat is never done.......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.