If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

In the 'good olde days' of months ago it was so easy; a pile of plywood, a stack of Doug Fir and the epoxy set up. A guy could keep himself busy for days without having to go anywhere with his credit card. Now-a-days it's off to the marine store everyday for some new sized screw, anti-skid grit, lashing line. The credit card is getting its exercise! At the end of all this I'll share with you my final cost. I'm still on target, I haven't blown my budget....YET! It hasn't come down to choosing between food and essential boat widgets.

I've been working on lots of things as the photos below show. I now have sewn both trampolines. I'll put the grommets in the one that I finished last night today then do some detail hand sewing on both tramps. I've finished detailing the tillers and tiller bar though I still need to add the connection points. Last night I gave them the first coat of clear coat epoxy. I hope to give them atleast three coats before I varnish or paint them. I made them out of oak. They are stout, perhaps too stout. I think you could use them to pry a grounded monohull off the rocks. Oh well like I said before, the retrofit has begun.

The big deal news is that I started painting. I still need to locate the water line, which is this mornings task but I've given the topsides their first coat down to the lower edge of the upper side panel. The beams are coated one side and the mast has one coat too. Yes the mast is black. My goal is still to paint the black on white graphic of two waves chasing each other on the boat. There are details to still figure out like does the inside get the same graphic or is it just white. It is all very exciting. One bummer is that I have spots this morning where the paint, Pettit Easypoxy, is still quite uncured while the rest (most of it) is touch dry. Anyone have experience with this? I hope it cures up today otherwise I'll be figuring out how to strip it off. That will be a mess.

The rear tramp and my 50 year old Phaff 322 sewing machine.


Stuff from my trips to the chandlery.


Paint is nice.


The tillers take on a shine.


Where do you spray paint a 26 foot long stick black when all else around is white? On your garage roof of course! My neighbor helped me get it up there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.