If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

I should probably rename this blog - "Building stuff while stuck at the dock!" I feel like an old sailor who can't get a berth onboard any ships and instead spends his days sitting on a bollard wittling away at scraps of wood, making a pile on shavings and yarning away whether anyone is listening or not. Building a surfboard is something I've been thinking about for awhile. Besides there's not enough snow to go skiing yet. I was going to give it a try using foam but I've got a stack of ready to go bamboo splits so what the hell. If it weighs a ton or is all wonky I can turn it into a piece of decorative art or a picnic table. As you can see from the photos below, I now have the bottom mold set up. The plan is to make a 1/2 template (oops forgot that before I bent the 1/2 particle board, cover the mold in plastic and then lay up bamboo strips longitudinally. When I built my Ulua I pre-planed all the pieces. Good idea but some spots are a little thin. This time I'll do them full thickness (6 mm)and shape them afterwards. I'll get better results, be able to fair in the tail hollow and won't have to do any filling afterwards.
If I pick up some glue today I should be able to hammer it out. I've got most of it figured out in my head but the actual construction method and sequence I'll make up as I go.


Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Thomas Armstrong said...

thomas, did you draw up the plans for the surfboard on your own, buy plans? I've been looking around for some draeings of bob simmons style plans. Can't seem to find any board plans anywhere. Suggestions?
Also, I've temporairlyshelved the post as I was waiting for pics of the sail for the proa. Guess I'll just talk about Tsunami soon and the proa in spring. Happy New Year,

thomas

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.