If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Wednesday, January 17, 2007



Today was a day for celebration, my sails arrived! Although I haven't completely unfolded them, they look good. I had Jeckells make up a main and jib. Now all I need is a boat to bend them to.
The weather cooperated somewhat today. Though it was icy first thing, the temperature quickly got up to 40 F. I continued work on the forward beam this morning and then got back to hull sanding in the afternoon. The beam web is now joined to the beam bottom. Next I'll add the top flanges and angle braces and then the forward fairing.

I've finished the first go of sanding on this hull using 40 grit paper and a random orbital sander. I'll give the whole thing a good go over with a long flexible fairing board and re-mark any divots that need filling on the smooth side. The key will be giving the whole thing a good cleaning to get all the dust taken care off. I've been saving my sanding dust so I can make more fairing compound. Even though the sander picks up a great deal of the sanding debris, there is still dust everywhere. I'll need to give the shed a good cleaning before I spray the primer coat. But I get ahead of myself. I need to fill any low spots on the one side and the 'ruts' on serrated side and give the whole thing atleast one more good sanding if not two or three. There is still plenty of detailing to do at the stem and stern, at the skeg and along the fillet where the upper and lower hull panels join. So even though I'm looking forward to getting this hull back upright, I've got a ways to go. After all the inside needs detailing and then the ends need to be filled with foam and the deck needs to be assembled.

Plenty of work to keep me out of trouble!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.