If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Monday, March 05, 2007

It is 12:26 AM and I am still at it. I finally got back in the swing of building, though it will be short lived as I fly to Anchorage Alaska Wednesday. Yesterday and today I made good progress on the bunks and the bunk hatches. I continue to learn new tricks and how to compress work so that tasks that were done in multiple steps and hence multiple days are now done together. Compressing work hasn't decreased quality. What I've discovered is that I did a lot of fussy work on Hull one that eventually got buried behinh fillets and in the end was pointless. Scott William's use of screws to hold bits and pieces together have be whole heartedly adopted. They are very effective. Tonight I discovered yet a new way to spread thickened epoxy. Previously, I would always make up a zip lock bag and squeeze out the resin cake decoration style. Tonight I spread it with a brush that I modified. I cut the bristles on the 1" chip brush off leaving only 3/4" of bristle. This make for a stiff brush that is perfect for spreading the thickened reisn when used as glue. Sort of like an acid brush I guess. I also prepped the hull so that tomorrow I can glue the bunk boards in. I can't wait to have both hulls to the same level of finish.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice work Thomas! I'm considering building a Tiki 26 and it's nice to see someone of my age, lack of employment and general outlook on life tackling the task! I built a 12 ft. stitch and glue canoe last summer and had a blast. It looked great until I glassed it--should have used epoxy rather than poly--but still, it floats with no leaks. I opted to paint it red and do the interior in black bed-liner from Napa. It's not the prettiest ship on the pond, but touch as nails. I live in on the coast of Oregon, in Waldport, and plan to sail locally so need a boat that's seaworthy, but can be trailered. What are your thoughts? I haven't found anything on Wharram's site about trailering the 26, so not sure it's possible. From the pics I've seen of "Tsunamichaser", you're doing a fine job; keep up the great work!

Adios, Mark

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.