If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I discovered a total time/hassle saver yesterday when I set all the bulkheads thanks to Scott Williams who is building Element 2 a Tiki 26. SCREWS! instead of clamps. Assembling the hulls and fitting the bulkheads was much easier this time round. first I screwed the tops of the hull together instead of using clamps like Wharram suggests. Second I used the straps I haqd used to rotate H1 while finishing it to hold the flat side panels upright while setting them up on their chocks and inserting the bulkheads. Once I had the hull upright and I removed the screws, I wrenched the sides out, got inside and started pushing bulkheads into place. It took all of 15 minutes to have them pushed down and in place then about 1.5 to 2 hours to clamp sides together where I needed to torque things around and adjust the hull spread. When it looked good I started wiring it all in place working from the ends to the midde. I checked that everything was consistent on H2 with H1 with two tight lines (keel and bunks), three levels and a laser. I have centerline marks on the tops of the bulkheads. I set the lasere on the stem and lined it up. The alignment was less than 1/16" out. I also used the bunk templates I made for H1. They fit perfectly. Consequently I was able to go from loose sides to epoxy poured into the keel in six hours. I've definitely learned a few things since I started in on H1.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.