If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Sunday, May 06, 2007

I don't know where Scott Williams learned the making tape method of finishing the edge of glass but I think it's brilliant. You get an increadibly clean edge to your work. The other great thing is that you don't need a whole bunch of different glass products as you can make your own from a roll of cloth. If nothing else came of this project, I'm happy to have learned this technique. If I could I'd go back and do all the glass work over using this method with the exception of the 12 oz biaxial tape I used on the keel. I'd use the 12 oz again but not the 6 oz. The 6 oz is skitish stuff.
For the final glassing of the cabin top I only did a small overlap as I had already taped the edges. This means that the vertical seams, cabin corners have one layer of 6 oz biaxial and two 6 oz woven cloth and the cabin top seams have two layers of 6 oz cloth. Hopefully this will be enoughto keep the cabin from flying off!


Note short section of rope I'm using to keep glass in place as I smooth it out dry. This worked really well. I held it to the gunnels with spring clamps as I worked the folds out of the glass.


Tape detail.


Another tape detail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.