If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Friday, May 04, 2007

I got a comment earlier today from someone (David) interested in my blog. He asked a couple of questions; 1. why did I coat the plywood in epoxy and 2. what is my experience level? Here are my answers

1. You use epoxy for everything. As a water sealant/rot proofer, glue, strengthening agent and for glassing. Without it you couldn't really build this boat, not one that would hold up. The reason I paint whole sheets of plywood is it's faster and you get a better overall coat thickness, no thick/thin coats at the edges.
2. As to my experience; I've been fool enough to stick with wood for almost my whole life. I thought of building this boat in aluminum but didn't partly because of expense, lack of good welding skills and the boat would be cold in cold water and warm/hot in warm water. Maybe one day! As for woodworking skills, I think I started hammering and sawing before I could crawl. I've done plenty of boat repair for myself, build a driftboat and a couple of kayaks, many a treefort, some houses and furniture. I'm not highly skilled but have been at it for a bunch of decades.

Does that answer your question? If not you can find my email hidden in my blog.

Thomas

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Excellent site! I saw that you contemplated building your Tiki 26 in aluminum. I'm wondering if you did any sort of analysis to see if this was practical. I know there is a bit of discussion on the Wharram site regarding larger Wharram designs having been built in aluminum, but no one really had done a boat the size of the Tiki 26. Just wondering. Thanks for any help you can be.

Mike Foster
warran371@yahoo.com

4:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Sorry, I mispelled my e-mail address on an earlier message.
Excellent site! I saw that you contemplated building your Tiki 26 in aluminum. I'm wondering if you did any sort of analysis to see if this was practical. I know there is a bit of discussion on the Wharram site regarding larger Wharram designs having been built in aluminum, but no one really had done a boat the size of the Tiki 26. Just wondering. Thanks for any help you can be.

Mike Foster
warren371@yahoo.com

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.