If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Three hundred and seventeen calendar days after I started building and 215 days later in the shed, I have a boat. I think I spent on average 6 hours per day at it. Though these last few months have been intense, hour wise, earlier on there were plenty of two or three hour days so that tallys up to just shy of 1300 hours. I have a boat that is ready to get dismantled and hauled out of my backyard. It will float. It will sail. There is still plenty to do.

A Tiki 26 is a light boat, that is its scantlings don't make it something you crash around in or on especially when it is on land. That has been discovered as my daughter has been checking it out, jumping on the trampolines and climbing on the cabin hatches. I look forward to see what it feels like in the water. It will be better supported.

Tomorrow I build a ramp up the back deck to my neighbor's driveway then Friday it gets hauled out to the street and onto a trailer. A new chapter. Let the retrofit begin! Oh remember early on in this blog how I said I was a sailor not a boatbuilder, I've gotten into the builder mindset. I need to get into the sailor mindset again. Here in the Pacific Northwest, summer has abandoned us for cooler rainy un-August like weather. Hopefully that will improve so that the sailing doesn't have to start out in the rain.


Navigation center


Electrics in a box!


Washboard awning in place - better dry than .....


Looking aft in the port cabin.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations Thomas! Fantastic achievement. Tsunamichaser looks beautiful and strong and I'm sure she will look after you and give you much pleasure. Good luck with the move to the water, I am envious of your reversion to sailor instead of builder and I will miss my daily fix of building blogs! But I look forward to gaining further inspiration by following your adventures

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.