If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

I should probably rename this blog - "Building stuff while stuck at the dock!" I feel like an old sailor who can't get a berth onboard any ships and instead spends his days sitting on a bollard wittling away at scraps of wood, making a pile on shavings and yarning away whether anyone is listening or not. Building a surfboard is something I've been thinking about for awhile. Besides there's not enough snow to go skiing yet. I was going to give it a try using foam but I've got a stack of ready to go bamboo splits so what the hell. If it weighs a ton or is all wonky I can turn it into a piece of decorative art or a picnic table. As you can see from the photos below, I now have the bottom mold set up. The plan is to make a 1/2 template (oops forgot that before I bent the 1/2 particle board, cover the mold in plastic and then lay up bamboo strips longitudinally. When I built my Ulua I pre-planed all the pieces. Good idea but some spots are a little thin. This time I'll do them full thickness (6 mm)and shape them afterwards. I'll get better results, be able to fair in the tail hollow and won't have to do any filling afterwards.
If I pick up some glue today I should be able to hammer it out. I've got most of it figured out in my head but the actual construction method and sequence I'll make up as I go.


Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I've finished what I can on my Ulua this fall/winter. I can't paint or the likes as its too cold. No fear of solar damaged to the epoxy this winter and all the bits and pieces are done so I've moved the boat the edge of the shop and have started a new project - building a bamboo surfboard. I want to get a sense of how lightis possible and develop some techniques I've been thinking about for surfboard building. I'm building a 7'-6" plank as it fits in the shop with all the other stuff that goes in there. Besides I tired of living with two bikes in my office that I constantly trip over.

Even though I've put my outrigger aside doesn't mean it won't get on the water. It's pretty deary right now in Seattle but the first good day I'll get it out on the water. I still need to take it for a sail.

I have finished up my simple rudder set up. Everything is lightly glued on with 5 min epoxy so it'll be easy to remove if it came to that. It tested out great in the water so I think it is pretty successful. All it is is a Wharram style "stiched" on rudder to a skeg, fishing line from a small hole in the aft top of the rudder leading forward on the outside of the hull to two small holes near the gunnel that cross under the rear seat go through two rope fairleads and on the the rudder bar. THe rudder bar is held in place with top lines at the ends and a center pivot line. It works amazingly well!

Friday, December 05, 2008

Yesterday was a beautiful sunny day with little wind. Lise and I went for a long paddle, broken by a stop for fish tacos midway. The new rudder I've installed works great. I need to improve the control bar - I have some low tech ideas. I'm hoping that tomorrow can be a sailing day!

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.