If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Monday, October 16, 2006



All work and no play makes the play of building a boat work! I've been absent for a few days as I took a trip to the Gulf Islands. It was beautiful Friday but the rest of the weekend was foggy and wet. Colder weather has arrived. Fall has finally set in, though it seemed that it would never arrive. There have been days of chill but now cold and wet now feels as if it is here for the next few months.

Thursday was not the best day of boat building as I struggled with the cross beams. Whatever it was that was causing the problems persisted today. I mis-measured the front beam components, even though I'd made a template and then proceeded to cut the pieces out wrong too. I didn't discover my error until the bottoms and the fairings were done. Luckily I cut them out too big so I could recover. I made them 2300 mm long as opposed to 2030 mm long. This made them wider at the narrow end than per design so luckily I was able to cut out the correct pieces from the wrong ones. No material wasted and my ego only mildly bruised. I should have known that something was wrong when I couldn't lay out the required pieces on the full sheet of plywood the way Wharram showed them. Now they are done so I can fair them. The beam parts are at the far end of my shop leaning up against the wall in the picture. I will screw similar pieces together and then surfform them to the same shape. Then I'll set them aside and work on them later making the construction of the beams a side project.

Tomorrow, I begin stitching together the first hull.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.