If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007


A few weeks ago the tasks seemed endless. I couldn't see any improvement with the fairing work I was trying to accomplish and I was thinking there is no way I'll ever see the end of this project. WOW! was I going to end up with one of those partly finished boats in my backyard? I still have a long way to go but I am re-energized and I'm building like a fiend. Seeing pictures of Scott Williams out on his Tiki 21 sailing and reading about Rory McDougall's trip in Cooking Fat a Tiki 21 got me stoked. So now I too want to be out sailing. My goal stands, by the end of June tsunamichaser will be one with the wave and wind. Today was a short day, that is I have to pick up my daughter by 1515. So from 0900 to 1515 I crank slurping hot coffee and downing lunch as the day goes. I did more work on the beams first. I cleaned up the epoxy work I did yesterday with the belt sander. FYI if you are building one of these, Wharram shows the butt block on the beam webs in the wrong spot. It doesn't go flush to the bottom of the beam but up 6mm to clear the beam bottom butt block. I did this right on the front beam but wrong on the other two. Easily fixed with a circular saw set to the right depth. Once these were cleaned up, I layed the four pieces out, cut cloth and spread on the resin. I've added cloth to the beams even though Wharram doesn't do it this way. Another "custom" feature! As the resin on the one side of the hull was curing along well, I flipped the boat back upside down then Sanded the otherside. Smoooooth! First 40 grit on the random orbital then the faring board and finally 100 grit. I rehung the boat by the straps, vacummed the hull and the shed ready for resin. I also took time to run the doug fir strips for the beams through the planer. They need a little more work but for now they are ready to be glued up. That will be a task for tomorrow. All this got me 1500. A quick call to Dennis at Edensaw to schedule a monday delivery of more wood and I grabbed a pack of gummybears for me and my daughter to eat on the way home and I was running up to school. Once back, it was time to mix resin. A quart batch with some white pigment and Rachel doing quality control I poured it out, hit it with my favorite 6" rubber window washers squeegee and got it distributed, rolled out and then tipped with a china brush. WEW! what a day and it still isn't over, I have a 2210 yes 10pm soccer game tonight!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.