If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Friday, April 06, 2007

I have been impossibly busy the last few days on both the boat and other things. Work on the boat is progressing very well though. I have been helped along by much warmer temperatures though yesterday things almost went sideways. As in epoxy kicking extremely quickly. It got up to 82 f in the shed. I may have to start cooling the resin down instead of warming it up.

Here is a picture of foaming an end component. I covered the top of the plywood lid and the sides of the hull so the two part foam wouldn't stick to these above the sealed part. This was way easier than scraping and sanding. I also came up with a better way of using a combination of rigid insulation and the liquid two part foam. By leaving more room around the rigid foam for the liquid foam to flow around I seem to have achieved a better result. Once again I am changing the ways I do things but I think this is ok. The learning curve is steep. Each time you come up against some new process you have something new to learn but then that is the joy of being an amateur. For instance I have now done scarf joints using about six different methods/techniques!

Here is a finished foamed compartment. I'll post pictures later but what I've done is completely glass this in with an edge fillet and a layer of glass cloth. As I am installing 8 inch round hatches above the bow compartments I want these areas to be watertight. I will use them for light storage - a cruising chute and line.

This is where I almost had my epoxy disaster. The photo is of the bow template done in clear plastic. As I was able to get 5X10 foot sheets of plywood I I cut out the bow decks in one piece. When I coated them with my squeegee, back rolling method the second one almost turned into a mess. I had to go really fast to beat the heat that was setting up the resin.

Today will be all about priming the cabin interior of H2. Then I'll let the whole thing sit over the weekend while I go visit my dad and family in the Gulf Islands. Speaking of adventure, my 87 year old father is off for a month long solo trek in Scotland, the outlying islands and beyond - that's adventuresome spirit!


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home


    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.