If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007


I put the hammer to work today. That is my sledge hammer. I'm not a tool thrower - patience - so no fear of swinging that big boy in frustration and breaking something. I wasn't always mellow like that but other than getting some steam vented it never achieves anything except perhaps regret. I finished the ugly foam today, bow and stern on H1 and lay the intermediate decks down on the uncured foam once it stopped expanding. Once the stuff fully cures I'll clean up the edges and glass in the decks. The bow and stern will then be sealed and the space above useful for light storage.

After yesterday's successful spray priming of the hatches I masked off the cabin in H1 and rigged up my sprayer. I'm no pro at this but have painted a few houses. The learning curve is steep. I did an ok job but wish my compressor had a greater reserve tank volume. I had to wait at times for it to catch up but remember, patience!! I taped all the edges where I still need to do fillets to join the deck and cabin to the hull so those areas are primer free. The primer I'm using is a two part water based epoxy modified polyurethane. It lays down nicely but takes seven days to cure before you can sand it at the temperatures we're experiencing



The cabin is awfully white but I will add some natural wood trim and do the few shelves I add natural. I'm will probably do the interior in an off white or even a buff. We'll see.


Meanwhile back over on H2 other than working on the end compartments, I plugged any remaining gaps between the bulkheads and upper hull sides and coated all the remaining bare wood surfaces in preparation for a final sanding and priming. I also glued up two of the scarfed shear stringed. I'll try to get to the other two tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.