If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I am no professional painter! That is the challenge of DIY, (Do It Yourself). The skill set you need to aquire is enormous. Plan reader, material estimator, lofter, carpenter, epoxy and glassing EXPERT, painter, mast maker, electronics guy and on and on. But what fun it is!!! I'm not building a yacht afterall - all spit shined and polished. I'm building a Wharram for the love of adventure and I'm doing the best I can with the skill, tools and physical facilities I have. The learning curve is steep! Today I discovered painter's disaster. And I discovered that you can recover, if you think and act fast. I have two spray guns. The one I've been using for primer had been acting up so I thought I'd try the other one. Wrong decision. I created a mess. I was mopping up paint with a sponge brush. I didn't have runs, I had spring break-up! Quick thinking got all the paint squeegee'd up. I then smoothed out the catastrope with another sponge brush. I got it looking neat, no runs or sags. The System Three polyurethane paint I'm using cures fast, even at 65% humidity and temperatures in the mid-fifties. I finished all four hull ends with a brush. It looked inconsistent. I fired up my other spray gun. This one, which had baulked at doing a consistent job with the primer laid down the paint very consistently. I went over my brush work, misting the surface to get it to a consistent look. It worked! By day's end I had all four ends nicely painted and the foot wells and hatches done too. They weren't on my list! I had some extra time so I glued one of the rub rails on. I save all my sanding dust. This is what I use to make special pastes for gluing, when the premixed stuff from System Three isn't what I need. One rail glued and screwed, three to go!


H1 stern cabin compartment


Looking aft in H1. Only the furthest compartment is painted the rest have only been primed


Painted hatches stored on the front deck of H1. All flat surfaces become tables for something!


More and different stuff stored on a hull deck!


The shed is filling up to overflowing. How will I ever build my mast in this space?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.