If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Thursday, April 19, 2007


Balanced on my bath scale (on its second time around), Hull 2 approaches design weight of 430 pounds.

Scott Williams (Tiki 26 Element II) and I were emailing each other this morning about boat strength and overbuilding as in adding extra weight. It motivated me to pull out the bath scale and balance hull 2 on top of it to see where I've gotten too. I piled the loose cabin top on, lifted the bow up and got the whole mess balanced on the scale- it looks like 385 pounds to me as it went around once before settling on 85. Add a known 13 pounds for the rudder and I'm at 398 which leave me 32 pounds of hull to go if I'm going to make the design weight of 430 lbs . What's left? First the deductive weights; Trimmings and strong backs from the forward deck, half the main hatch coaming stock, plastic stool I forgot in the main cabin and some sanding dust - maybe a total of five pounds Now the adds - four plastic access hatches, main hatch, washboard, beam positioning blocks, shear stringer and doublers, deck and cabin glass cloth and epoxy, lexan windows and misc. All these things will likely be a little more than the 37 pounds I've got to go so it looks like I've over built by a bit per Wharram's stated hull weight of 430 pounds. Wharram states in his design book that the total weight (empty) of the completed boat is 1550 lbs. I wonder what he considers an empty boat? Batteries? Outboard? Or just the basic boat - two hulls, a cockpit, three beams, one mast and gaff with sails and rigging and two tillers and a connecting bar. If the hulls are each 430 for a total of 860 lbs what makes up the other 690 pounds, certainly not just the basic parts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.