If you are a dreamer, a doer, a horizon viewer - come in! come in! Announce yourself and let it be known.
The seed of adventure has been sown.

The goal is to take this boat on a trip that no other Wharram boat has taken.
From Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories up the MacKenzie River to the Beafort Sea
and westward to the Bering Sea and south to the inside passage on the Alaska and British Columbia coast.

Friday, April 27, 2007

I didn't post anything last night as I worked late having started a sequence of work I wanted to get finished. I don't like being ahead on one hull as it feels like it adds a day to the work. I have crossed a major threshold however. The inside of the boat is now all painted. My ability to operate a spray gun is still on a steep learning curve. It's hard not to get drips in corners where you might spray from several angles. I got a couple yesterday but I back brush them right away and once the coat is dry I mist the entire surface with a light coat to make it consistent.

The big job yesterday was getting the rub rail instalation completed. They are screwed on 1 foot centers and glued and will have bolts at beam and rigging points with the hardwood doublers. I am very happy with how this turned out though it wasn't the simplest way of doing things. With a drip on the underside of the strake and the deck glassed to the hull side panels I hope to avoid the rot issues some have experineced at this area. The reason I work so late yesterday was to not only get the inside paint and strake installation completed but to get a fillet laid down along the top of the strake and the screw holes plugged so I can start glassing the decks today. I still need to glue the cabin tops on, another task for today, but with some hard work over the next few days I'll have all the fiberglassing work on the hull completed by the end of the month. I need to start the mast ASAP.


I feel like this when I work in my tiny shed. I have to plan the sequence of every move so I have everything in the right place and know my methods will work when I try to do two person tasks alone. Note rail resting on clamps between boat and shed supports in a space about 4 inches wide at its narrowest.


The inside painted!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

  • CLICK HERE TO SHUFFLE MY PHOTOS

    Spot Track

  • Track Tsunamichaser
  • Spot Track
    Click link above the Spot to see where Tsunamichaser is.